Thursday, June 21, 2007

House Arrest

The nationwide strike is now in day 2, which means today was “house arrest” day 1. We don’t have a lot of fuel in the car we are using, so at this point if we don’t have to go somewhere, we don’t. Luckily we stocked up on groceries before this began.

It is amazing to look out today and see how empty the streets are. Even on a Sunday morning this amount of traffic would be light.



To be able to look out and see empty or nearly empty roads on a Thursday morning is very strange. I sat here all day and most of the very normal sounds just were not heard today. There were no horns blowing, and no sirens, just a quiet day. You would think I would find that refreshing, Instead it just seems a little creepy.



If this were a bad B-Movie the silence would be followed by swarms of zombies streaming out of an alley.

Nope, no zombies just a very quiet day.

It was very difficult to work today. The nature of my job is such that if I am not in the office I don’t accomplish very much. There is just not a lot I can do when I am disconnected; this is also one reason that I don’t travel very much. Part of my job is to process invoices and coordinate bill payments, with nothing moving that becomes a bit difficult.



I expect tomorrow to be very similar. From all the news we have seen, no real progress is being made to end the strike. There were some minor classes today between strikers and police. Strikers are manning roadblocks and barricades all around main areas of Lagos to “enforce” strike conditions. Police used tear gas today to try and disperse one such roadblock. I really don’t know if this is going to get worse, but I can guess it won’t get a lot better in the next few days.

1 comment:

Kyle K said...

Now now that's no excuse not to work, so GET YOUR BUTT TO WORK... ! Or we can give you some stuff to do from here! haha