Saturday, March 14, 2009

Happy to be breathing

Okay, I know it has been forever since I posted on my blog, but today I am feeling particularly happy to be alive and so I thought I would post a bit about what happened.

Yesterday was quite interesting, I am not yet sure what triggered the anaphylaxis (Severe Allergic Reaction), but it was definitely something I ate. Very soon after lunch I started having trouble breathing and I was coughing because my wind pipe was obstructed. When it continued to get worse I injected myself with epinephrine, which is a form of synthetic adrenaline and then went to the clinic. Luckily the injection made it possible for me to breathe so I didn’t pass out and possibly suffocate. I don’t know if my life was in danger yesterday, but I am glad I didn’t wait to find out!

I am fine today and am feeling specifically grateful to the company that makes the EpiPen as well as my doctor back home for insisting that I keep one on hand after a previous incident.

After realizing that it took over 30 minutes to get to the clinic here (there is no 911, and half the time people don't even move out of the way for an ambulance! I rode to the clinic in one of our company cars) I have replaced the one EpiPen I used with two new ones just in case I need a second dose before arriving at the hospital.

Thanks to the marvels of modern medicine I am alive and well and I plan to stay that way!

No comments: