Saturday, July 21, 2007

New Purchase

I went to Lekki market this morning with my boss and his wife. They wanted to go today because they are leaving Lagos this coming Friday, so they were shopping for various items to take with them. They invited me and since my social schedule just happened to have an opening I decided I would go along.

First let me just describe the experience: Lekki market is an open air market, basically what we would call a flea market back in the US. Driving to Lekki market you go over some pretty awful roads, today the road was a huge muddy mess! As you get close to the market boys of all ages will start running next to your car. They do this because they want you to choose them as your "porter" while you are at the market. It is common practice to choose one of these boys right after getting out of your car, if you don't choose one a whole group will follow you around until you do. So when you get out of your car there are usually anywhere from 15 to 30 boys all yelling out their names "You remember me, I'm your fist boy, choose (Insert name here)" and various other phrases to get your attention. When Josie and I go we usually use Simon and most of the boys know this, but Simon is not always around early when Josie and I go. So we will always have someone offer to go get him for us, just so they can come back and tell us he is not around in the hope we will use them instead. This is a normal game. Today Simon was not around so I chose one of the boys that was keeping his distance and was not swarming around me, his name was David.

After you get through the "porter selection process" it is time to move on into the market. The market has everything from foodstuffs to Ivory, paintings, carvings, bronze, and jewelry. You can find many things, but for me the hard part is finding the things that are unique. Many of the stalls sell very similar things and you can see the same "different" or "one of a kind" item several times along the way.

Today I happened across a couple of the more unique items, I passed up one of them because I was not sure if Josie would like it, but the other was a very nicely made box, and I was very impressed by it.



Segun is the name of the person who made this, and I looked at pictures of some of his other work, it was very nice. We have several items made by a different artist and we like them, but I have also promised Segun that I would check back with him as well.



I just really felt that the box had a very good level of detail, and it was a style I have not seen a lot of here. Most of the carvings here are people and animals, and I thought the very simple flower motif was very nice.



It has very clean lines and seems to be constructed very well. Segun also had some pictures of things that were a lot less ornamental that the items we have typically bought from our other artist. I think Josie would really like some of his things, and I promised I would bring Josie back when she returned so she could see his pictures.



It was not very expensive, so I did not even worry too much about bargaining much on the price. I am willing to pay a little more when I feel that the work is good quality.

This was the only item I purchased today, much to the disappointment of many shopkeepers who are all evidently "My friend". I have one rule when I go to various markets like this in Lagos, anyone who grabs me automatically loses my business. People will walk over and grab your arm and lead you to their shop. Since this was my only purchase my "porter" had it pretty easy, but he was willing to go get me a cold drink or a beer anytime I wanted. The rest of the time I just walked around, I found some things that I like, but I'm going to wait until Josie gets back. If I buy something she doesn't like it will just end up in a closet! She has already explained to me that I arranged some of the furniture incorrectly in the pictures I posted a few days ago. Anyway, just wanted to share some of my day today and now I think I'll head to the squash court for some more punishment.

No comments: