Wednesday, July 2, 2008

On the Subject of Food

If you have read through the rest of my blog you know that I have a tendency to take pictures of food that I cook while my wife is out of the country. Well once again I am going to prove that I actually do cook for myself while my wife is gone. Both of these are meals I cooked earlier this year during one of my wife's trips outside Nigeria.



This one is chicken with a country mustard sauce (from a bottle, so I can't take too much credit) over rice, with some pan-fried zucchini strips. It was easy and tasted pretty good too. And it made for a nice picture...

This one I am proud of, this was a spur of the moment creation that was quite excellent, but the funny thing about it is that most of my family either would not or could not eat it.



I will give you an idea of what is in this one (I can't give an exact recipe since I made it up and as usual I did not write anything down).

First I cooked up some chicken with cilantro (which my Mom hates), carrots (which my brother is allergic too), and red and yellow peppers. Then I cooked up some spinach tagliatelle pasta (which my wife does not like), and mixed that all together. Then I covered it all with a Lime vinaigrette dressing (also made up on the fly). I thought it was wonderful, but as you can see from the description, I guess it was good that I was home alone. The left-overs were just as good straight out of the fridge the next day!

This last one is specifically for my Dad! We had a social at church and we decided we would make some food to take. Josie made Jello with fruit in it (which was a huge hit, after we explained what it was: most of the people had never seen Jello) and I made a pot of Jambalaya. It was a bit interesting since I had to make it with the ingredients available here.



The Sausage was a garlic sausage I happened to find in one of the stores here. It was alright by itself (although I doubt I would eat it that way normally), but after it cooked in the jambalaya it tasted great. Apparently it wasn't too bad, after the social this is what was left!



The funniest thing about this making the Jambalaya, is that our steward was around the flat while I was cooking it. She has never made or tasted jambalaya, but because mine did not look like the picture in the recipe book she told me she thought I did it wrong. I thought it was absolutely hilarious!

Hopefully this has made you all hungry!

1 comment:

Americanson said...

I think you put the carrots in there just so you would not have to share. But you've always been that way about food.

Truth be told, that is what I do when the family is gone. I cook food that no one else will eat. It is the only way I ever get to have mushrooms.